- The hoax occurred Monday, Feb. 7, 1910. Peter Stansky verified the date by checking the original telegram related to the affair. It is housed in the National Archives at Kew, which was formerly known as the Public Records Office. You can access the Archives’ Dreadnought folder here. Stanksy included a full account of the hoax in his book, On or About December 1910: Early Bloomsbury and its Intimate World, published by Harvard University Press in 1996.
- Quentin Bell gives Feb. 10 as the date of the hoax in his biography of Woolf. In her biography, Hermione Lee gives Feb. 7 as the date, although she does not cite her source. In her 1997 biography Duncan Grant, Frances Spalding doesn’t give a source for her date either, but she does use the correct date of Feb. 7.
- The Daily Mirror reported on Feb. 16, 1910, that “All England is laughing at the practical joke played a few days ago…”, beneath a photograph of the participants in the hoax.
- The Dreadnought talk that Woolf gave to the Rodmell branch of the Women’s Institute is published in The Platform of Time, edited by S. P Rosenbaum. Georgia Johnston discovered the manuscript of the talk, and her account was published in the Woolf Studies Annual, Vol XV in 2009.
- Adrian Stephen wrote The Dreadnought Hoax, published by the Hogarth Press in 1936.
Getting the facts straight about Dreadnought
Wednesday 10 February 2010 by Paula Maggio
- Life in books while waiting for "Life in Squares" bit.ly/1DeBO45 fb.me/6KfeK7NXm 15 hours ago
- "Mrs. Dalloway in Bond Street" published in The Dial in 1923.... fb.me/3pDx0OKit 15 hours ago
- RT @MatthewRettino: Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf advertised in Canadian Forum in 1926. Ah, nothing like a new book by Woolf! http://t.co… 18 hours ago
- Alice Lowe
- Kaylee Baucom
- Paula Maggio
- Vara Neverow
- William Patrick Wend
Woolf and Weather
Common Reader Comments
Life in books while… on Life in Squares coming to BBC… MarinaSofia on Reactions to episode one of BB… Paula Maggio on Reactions to episode one of BB… Maggie Humm on Reactions to episode one of BB…
Got Woolf news, events, links?E-mail Blogging Woolf
- Woolf sightings
- In her steps
Woolf as Icon