- The hoax occurred Monday, Feb. 7, 1910. Peter Stansky verified the date by checking the original telegram related to the affair. It is housed in the National Archives at Kew, which was formerly known as the Public Records Office. You can access the Archives’ Dreadnought folder here. Stanksy included a full account of the hoax in his book, On or About December 1910: Early Bloomsbury and its Intimate World, published by Harvard University Press in 1996.
- Quentin Bell gives Feb. 10 as the date of the hoax in his biography of Woolf. In her biography, Hermione Lee gives Feb. 7 as the date, although she does not cite her source. In her 1997 biography Duncan Grant, Frances Spalding doesn’t give a source for her date either, but she does use the correct date of Feb. 7.
- The Daily Mirror reported on Feb. 16, 1910, that “All England is laughing at the practical joke played a few days ago…”, beneath a photograph of the participants in the hoax.
- The Dreadnought talk that Woolf gave to the Rodmell branch of the Women’s Institute is published in The Platform of Time, edited by S. P Rosenbaum. Georgia Johnston discovered the manuscript of the talk, and her account was published in the Woolf Studies Annual, Vol XV in 2009.
- Adrian Stephen wrote The Dreadnought Hoax, published by the Hogarth Press in 1936.
Getting the facts straight about Dreadnought
Wednesday 10 February 2010 by Paula Maggio
- Happy birthday, Leonard Woolf - Happy birthday, Leonard WoolfAn email from Cecil Woolf this morning... tmblr.co/Zm7Uix1yljGIT 1 day ago
- An email from Cecil Woolf this morning reminded me that today would be his uncle Leonard's 135th birthday. I... fb.me/27CT732i7 1 day ago
- A reminder from Cecil Woolf, Leonard and Virginia's nephew: Leonard Woolf would be 135 today. Thinking of him. 2 days ago
- Alice Lowe
- Kaylee Baucom
- Paula Maggio
- Vara Neverow
- William Patrick Wend
Woolf and Weather
Common Reader Comments
Laura C on “Keep calm and carry on… jenniraa on Sad news for Woolfians worldwi… Sad news for Woolfia… on View from Talland House threat… Sad news for Woolfia… on Virginia Woolf fans save the v…
Got Woolf news, events, links?E-mail Blogging Woolf
- Woolf sightings
- In her steps
Woolf as Icon