- The hoax occurred Monday, Feb. 7, 1910. Peter Stansky verified the date by checking the original telegram related to the affair. It is housed in the National Archives at Kew, which was formerly known as the Public Records Office. You can access the Archives’ Dreadnought folder here. Stanksy included a full account of the hoax in his book, On or About December 1910: Early Bloomsbury and its Intimate World, published by Harvard University Press in 1996.
- Quentin Bell gives Feb. 10 as the date of the hoax in his biography of Woolf. In her biography, Hermione Lee gives Feb. 7 as the date, although she does not cite her source. In her 1997 biography Duncan Grant, Frances Spalding doesn’t give a source for her date either, but she does use the correct date of Feb. 7.
- The Daily Mirror reported on Feb. 16, 1910, that “All England is laughing at the practical joke played a few days ago…”, beneath a photograph of the participants in the hoax.
- The Dreadnought talk that Woolf gave to the Rodmell branch of the Women’s Institute is published in The Platform of Time, edited by S. P Rosenbaum. Georgia Johnston discovered the manuscript of the talk, and her account was published in the Woolf Studies Annual, Vol XV in 2009.
- Adrian Stephen wrote The Dreadnought Hoax, published by the Hogarth Press in 1936.
Getting the facts straight about Dreadnought
Wednesday 10 February 2010 by Paula Maggio
- The pioneering women of the BBC News -- and how one of them enticed big names like Virginia Woolf to the... fb.me/7Qd66NT5V 8 hours ago
- Helen Simonson’s new novel, “The Summer Before the War,” has connections to Virginia Woolf: time period and Rye.... fb.me/VMuLKjge 17 hours ago
- RT @Heaven_ali: ICYMI: #Woolfalong round up - Phase 2 ‘beginnings and endings’ heavenali.wordpress.com/2016/04/28/woo… https://t.co/WpEjSfegrv (phase 3… 1 day ago
- Alice Lowe
- Kaylee Baucom
- Paula Maggio
- Vara Neverow
- William Patrick Wend
Woolf and Weather
Common Reader Comments
Virginia Woolf in Ca… on Immerse yourself in Virginia W… Paula Maggio on Woolf as a proto social media… cherylcapaldotraylor on Woolf as a proto social media… Flush, livro de Virg… on Film version of Woolf’s…
Got Woolf news, events, links?E-mail Blogging Woolf
- Woolf sightings
- In her steps
Woolf as Icon