What started as a discussion around a tea table in Glasgow has now become an official list sent to the VWoolf Listserv by Vara Neverow.
A group of attendees from the 21st Annual International Conference on Virginia Woolf, held June 9-12 at the University of Glasgow, were at the Willow Tea Rooms in Glasgow, taking tea and mining their memory banks to come up with the complete list of 21 conferences, their organizers, and their sites. Missing just one, they queried the list, and Vara sent round the full 21.
Here is the official list of the Annual International Conferences on Virginia Woolf that have been held from 1991 through this year. Conference planners are included in parenthesis.
Anne Fernald posted the same list on Fernham and indicated the 14 conferences she attended in bold face. I am doing the same here, but as a relative newcomer, I have far fewer — just three.
You can add your count as a comment at the end of this post.
And if, like me, you didn’t make it to Glasgow, you can pick up a souvenir at the Willow Tea Rooms online shop.
- Pace University–New York City, N. Y. (Mark Hussey) 1991
- Southern Connecticut State University–New Haven (Vara Neverow) 1992
- Lincoln University–Jefferson City (Jane Lilienfeld) 1993
- Bard College–Annandale-on-Hudson, New York (Paul Connolly) 1994
- Otterbein College–Westerville, Ohio (Beth Daugherty) 1995
- Clemson University–Clemson, S. Carolina (Wayne Chapman and Elisa Sparks) 1996
- Plymouth College–Plymouth, New Hampshire (Jeanne Dubino) 1997
- St. Louis University—St. Louis, Mo. (Georgia Johnston) 1998
- University of Delaware—Newark, Delaware (Bonnie Kime Scott and Ann Ardis) 1999
- University of Maryland-Baltimore—Baltimore, Md. (Jessica Berman) 2000
- Bangor University—Bangor, Wales (Michael Whitworth) 2001
- Sonoma State University–Rohnert Park, Calif. (J.J. Wilson and Eileen Barrett) 2002
- Smith College—Northampton, Mass. (Karen Kukil et alia) 2003
- University of London—London, UK (Gina Potts and Lisa Shahriari) 2004
- Lewis and Clark College—Portland, OR (Rishona Zimring) 2005
- University of Birmingham—Birmingham, UK (Kathryn Simpson, Steve Ellis et alia) 2006
- Miami University of Ohio—Miami, Ohio (Madelyn Detloff and Diana Royer) 2007
- University of Denver—Denver, Col. (Eleanor McNees) 2008
- Fordham University, Manhattan—New York City, N.Y. (Anne Fernald) 2009
- Georgetown College—Georgetown, Ky. (Kristin Czarnecki) 2010
- University of Glasgow–Glasgow, Scotland (Jane Goldman) 2011