This page lists books by and about Virginia Woolf and her circle, past and present. It also provides links to them, along with reviews, when time allows. Want to see your book listed here? Post your request in the comments section below.
Get the full list of books available from Cecil Woolf Publishers. This includes monographs in the Bloomsbury Heritage Series, the War Poets Series, and important reissues.
Special collections related to Woolf and Bloomsbury
Featured items and catalogues from Glenn Horowitz Booksellers, specialists in 20th- and 21st- century inscribed first editions, manuscripts, correspondence, and archival material:
- Virginia Woolf, The Hogarth Press, and The Bloomsbury Group
- Virginia Woolf Goes to the Beach
- “The world must accept her on her own terms or not at all”: Duncan Grant on Virginia Woolf
- Michael Cunningham on The Hours
- The Robert Reedman Collection of Virginia Woolf and Bloomsbury
- Vita Sackville-West
- Virginia & Leonard Woolf
Virginia Woolf Conference Proceedings
Virginia Woolf Conference Proceedings are available from Clemson University Digital Press, Pace University Press and the Center for Virginia Woolf Studies. They include Selected Papers from Annual Woolf Conferences, such as the following:
- Virginia Woolf and the Common(wealth) Reader: Selected Papers from the Twenty-Third Annual International Conference on Virginia Woolf, edited by Helen Wussow and Mary Ann Gillies. The price is $24.95. You can order a copy online or download the book as a PDF.
- Contradictory Woolf: Selected Papers from the Twenty-First Annual International Conference on Virginia Woolf, edited by Derek Ryan and Stella Bolaki (Clemson, SC: Clemson University Digital Press, 2012), xvi, 310 pp. ISBN 978-0-9835339-5-5. View full publication (PDF, c. 1.8 MB) Order a copy
- Virginia Woolf and the Natural World: Selected Papers from the Twentieth Annual International Conference on Virginia Woolf, edited by Kristin Czarnecki and Carrie Rohman (Clemson, SC: Clemson University Digital Press, 2011), xii, 246 pp. ISBN 978-0-9835339-0-0. $24.95. View full publication (PDF, c. 2.5 MB) Order a copy.
- Woolf and the City: Selected Papers from the Nineteenth Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf, edited by Elizabeth F. Evans and Sarah E. Cornish. Clemson, S.C. Clemson University Digital Press, 2010. ISBN: 978-0-9842598-3-0. $24.95. View full publication (PDF, c. 5 MB) Order a copy
- Woolf Editing/Editing Woolf: Selected Papers from the 18th Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf, Clemson, S.C. Clemson University Digital Press, 2009. $22.95.
- Back to Bloomsbury: Selected Papers from the 14th Annual Conferences on Virginia Woolf (2004). Downloadable for free as a PDF.
- Woolf: Across the Generations: Selected Papers from the Twelfth Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf (2002). Downloadable for free as a PDF.
- Voyages Out, Voyages Home: Selected Papers from the 11th Conference on Virginia Woolf, edited by Jane de Gay and Marion Dell. Clemson, S.C. Clemson University Digital Press, 2010. $19.95.
Books and bibliographies of special note
- Virginia Woolf International Monographic Series
- Pace University Press has reissued the following books that were out of print:
- Helen M. Wussow’s transcription of ‘The Hours’
- The British Museum Manuscript of Mrs. Dalloway
- Edward L. Bishop’s transcription of Jacob’s Room, The Holograph Draft
- Women in the Milieu of Leonard & Virginia Woolf: Peace, Politics, and Education edited by Wayne Chapman and Janet Manson
- Pace University Press has also published
- Annual Woolf Studies bibliographies compiled by the International Virginia Woolf Society
Books by Virginia Woolf
- The Charleston Bulletin Supplements. London: British Library, 2013. £12.99. Read the post.
- Virginia Woolf, On Fiction. London: Hesperus Press, 2011. £7.99. Read the Mantex review.
- The Essays of Virginia Woolf, Volume 6: 1933-1941. Ed. Stuart N. Clarke. Hogarth Press, December 2012. £35.
- The Essays of Virginia Woolf, Volume 5: 1929 – 1932. Ed. Stuart N. Clarke. 2009. £30. Read the review in the Times Literary Supplement.
- Virginia Woolf, Tutti i romanzi. Rome: Newton & Compton. ISBN: 978-88-541-1789-1. € 19,90.
- Study of newly discovered proof copy of Room featured in WSA: Virginia Woolf Annual, Volume 17, 2010.
- Flush: A Biography. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009. ISBN: 0199539294. Read the Mantex review.
- New edition of The London Scene
Books about Virginia Woolf
- Vanessa and Her Sister, by Priya Parmar. Ballantine Books. December 2014. Read more about this historical novel.
- Virginia Woolf, Jane Ellen Harrison, and the Spirit of Modernist Classicism
Jean Mills by Jean Mills. Ohio State University Press, 2014. $69.95.
- Virginia Woolf and Classical Music: Politics, Aesthetics, Form by Emma Sutton. Edinburgh University Press, 2013. ISBN: 9780748637874. £70.
- Roomscape: Women Writers in the British Museum from George Eliot to Virginia Woolf by Susan David Bernstein. Edinburgh University Press, 2013. ISBN 9780748640652. £70.00. Read a review.
- Shell Shock and the Modernist Imagination: The Death Drive in Post-World War I British Fiction by Wyatt Bonikowski. Ashgate, 2013. ISBN: 978-1-4094-4417-6. $89.96. Includes a chapter on Mrs. Dalloway.
- Mystic Virginia Woolf by Dr. Allison Lin. Taipei: Showwe, 2012. Read more.
- Modernist Commitments: Ethics, Politics and Transnational Modernism by Jessica Berman. Columbia University Press, 2011. Paper. ISBN: 978-0-231-14951-8. $29.50; £20.50 in UK; e-book, $9.99. Read more.
- Virginia Woolf by Alexandra Harris. Thames and Hudson, 2011. £14.95. Read more.
- Hellenism and Loss in the Work of Virginia Woolf by Theodore Koulouris. London: Ashgate Publishing, 2010. ISBN: 978-1-4094-0445-3. $114.95
- Underground Writing: The London Tube from George Gissing to Virginia Woolf by David Welsh. Liverpool: Liverpool UP, 2010. ISBN: 9781846312236. $95.
- To the River: A Journey Beneath the Surface by Olivia Laing. Canongate Books Ltd., May 2011. ISBN: 9781847677921. £13.59. The story of the Ouse, the Sussex river in which Virginia Woolf drowned in 1941.
- Mourning, Modernism, Postmodernism by Tammy Clewell. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009. Chapter One covers “Woolf and the Great War.” ISBN: 978-0-230-23194-8, ISBN10: 0-230-23194-2. $80.
- Virginia Woolf and the Literary Marketplace, edited by Jeanne Dubino. Palgrave-Macmillan, 2010. ISBN: 0-230-10706-0. $80.
- On Moving: A Writer’s Meditation on New Houses, Old Haunts, and Finding Home Again by Louise DeSalvo. New York: Bloomsbury USA, 2009. $22.
- Consuming Traditions: Modernity, Modernism, and the Commodified Aesthetics by Elizabeth Outka. New York: Oxford University Press, 2009. $45.
- Virginia Woolf’s Ethics of the Short Story by Christine Reynier. Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009. ISBN 978-0-230-22718-7. Hardback £50.
- Virginia Woolf, la hantise de l’écriture by Anne-Marie Smith-Di Biasio. Paris: Indigo & Côté-femmes, May 2010, 194 p. ISBN: 2-35260-067-7, €21.
- Virginia Woolf and the Politics of Language by Judith Allen. Edinburgh University Press, May 2010. $105.
- Virginia Woolf, Modernity and History: Constellations with Walter Benjamin by Angeliki Spiropoulou. London and New York: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2010. £50. Download the flyer.
- The Edinburgh Companion to Virginia Woolf and the Arts. Ed. Maggie Humm. Edinburgh University Press, April 2010. $140. Download the flyer and order form. Read a review.
- Woolf’s-head Publishing: The Highlights and Newlights of the Hogarth Press by Elizabeth Willson Gordon. Alberta (CA): University of Alberta, 2009. ISBN: 9781551952406. Read more. This book can be purchased from the University of Alberta. You can e-mail requests to email@example.com. The cost is $25 plus $5 shipping.
- Modernism’s Middle East: Journeys to Barbary by Joanna Grant. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008. $75. ISBN: 978-0-230-20953-4, ISBN10: 0-230-20953-X. Includes a chapter, “They Came to Baghdad: Woolf and Sackville-West’s Levant,” on the partnership of Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf, focusing on their creation of the Levant as an eroticized Sapphist fantasy space and that fantasy’s decay as it runs aground on the shoals of ethics and anti-Orientalist conscience.
- Virginia Woolf, Fashion and Literary Modernity by Randi Koppen. Edinburgh University Press, 2009. $95. ISBN-10: 0748638725.
- The Virginia Woolf Writers’ Workshop: Seven Lessons to Inspire Great Writing by Danell Jones. Random House, 2008.$14. ISBN: 978-0-553-38492-5 (0-553-38492-9). Read an interview with the author. Read a review on Blogging Woolf. Listen to a fascinating podcast from Danell about her vision for the book.
- A Specially Tender Piece of Eternity: Virginia Woolf and the Experience of Time by Teresa Prudente. Lexington Books, 2008. ISBN: 13: 978-0739125557. $65. Read more.
- Vanessa and Virginia by Susan Sellers. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2009. ISBN-10: 0151014744. $23. Read more on Blogging Woolf, including a review by Alice Lowe. You can also read an interview with Susan Sellers on the CarolineLeavittville blog.
- Virginia Woolf’s Common Reader by Katerina Koutsantoni. Ashgate Publishing, July 2009. ISBN-10: 0754662640. $99.95.
- Reading Virginia Woolf by Julia Briggs. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2006. ISBN: 978-0-7486-2435-5. $38. Read a review.
- Letters to Virginia Woolf by Lisa William. Maryland: Hamilton Books, 2005. ISBN: 0-7618-3205-X. $18.
- Virginia Woolf and the Politics of Language by Judith Allen. Edinburgh University Press, 2010. ISBN-13: 978-0748636754. $105.
- Expert Modernists, Matricide, and Modern Culture by Lois Cucullu. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004. $90.edited by Eleanor McNees and Sara Veglahn. Clemson, South Carolina: Clemson University Digital Press, 2009. $22.95.
- Approaches to Teaching Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway, edited by Eileen Barrett and Ruth O. Saxton. New York: Modern Language Association, 2009. $19.95.
- Book on Monk’s House garden shares the beauty
Books about the Bloomsbury Group
- Cambridge Companion to the Bloomsbury Group, edited by Victoria Rosner. 2014.
- Charleston and Monk’s House : The Intimate House Museums of Virginia Woolf and Vanessa Bell by Nuala Hancock. Edinburgh University Press, 2012. ISBN: 978 0 7486 4673 9
This page has the following sub pages.